GFDA’s Brownfields Assessment Grant can be used to inventory underutilized property, do Phase I and II Environmental Site Assessments in accordance with ASTM Standards, and assist with cleanup planning. Assessment Grant assistance is voluntary (not regulatory), and is done under the direction of the site owner, while meeting EPA Quality Assurance requirements.
WHAT TYPES OF TESTING ARE DONE IN PHASE II ASSESSMENTS?
- Soil sampling
- Groundwater monitoring well installation and sampling
- Indoor air testing
- Building materials assessments for asbestos, lead-based paint, methamphetamine (meth) residue, and potentially-toxic liquids, for example PCBs in hydraulic oil, glycol heating and cooling fluids, or mercury
- Geophysical scans for utilities and Underground Storage Tanks (USTs)
- Mapping of fill
- Measurement of depth to groundwater
STEPS TO REQUEST ASSISTANCE
- Download and fill out the Brownfields Assessment Application Request, and discuss your project with Lillian Sunwall at 406-750-1253
- EPA will review a Site Eligibility Form.
- GFDA committees will review the application form and authorize use of funds based on need, benefit of the proposed redevelopment to the community, and “skin-in-the-game” matching contributions offered by the landowner.