Great to see continued improvements to the Rivers Edge Trail!
GFDA’s Top Ten
Here is our Top 10 for last week celebrating work and successes to grow and strengthen the Great Falls regional economy — Montana’s Golden Triangle. And, sharing business resources and skill-building opportunities to empower your success.
1) Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine broke ground! Touro College Montana Plans to open in 2023 bringing in 125 new students annually. Check out the full announcement here.
2) Share your knowledge and ideas to grow and strengthen the Great Falls regional economy at the Strategic Planning Community Meeting. We are developing a new economic strategy and the first step in the process is to gather information about the strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats. Jon us TONIGHT, Tuesday October 12 from 7 – 8 PM in the Gibson Room of the Civic Center. If you can’t make it this evening, please take a few minutes to fill out a brief survey here.
3) Congratulations to Chief Mountain Coffee a startup coffee roaster on the Blackfeet Reservation that recently began selling their coffee at Glacier Family Foods supermarket in Browning. Chief Mountain Coffee is one of just a few native owned coffee roasters in the nation. Read more in the Cut Bank Pioneer Press.
4) Are you a developer? Retail/Restaurant/Housing/Real Estate developers wanted for Invest Downtown Great Falls Montana! This in-person and online event on 10/28, highlights opportunities and recent successes. Thank you NorthWestern Energy for sponsoring!
5) We released the Great Falls Childcare Demand Assessment that shows a need for additional childcare facilities to serve 580 children in Great Falls. For assistance with childcare facility business planning, contact Jason Nitschke at JNitschke@GrowGreatFalls.org.
6) Thank you to D.A. Davidson’s Vice President and IT Risk Manager Justin Jones for presenting our October webinar on assessing cyber risk. This webinar educated 25 live and recorded viewers on how using the National Institute of Standards and Technology’s (NIST) Cybersecurity Framework (CSF) can be used to understand the cyber risks of an organization. Click here to view this webinar. All of our previous webinars, including Justin’s January 2019 webinar “Quick Cyber Tips” can be found here.
7) We’ve published two new relocation stories in the Great People, Great Falls series on our Live in Great Falls blog. Gwen Fleming (of Wendt Agency) and Tiffany Hensley-McBain, PhD (of McLaughlin Research Institute) both have shared their awesome stories of choosing to relocate to Great Falls!
8) GFDA’s Board voted to support the Lincoln Prosperity Plan. The Board also voted to create two new task forces, one to explore the potential to leverage our rapidly expanding health and bioscience assets and the other to form a statewide coalition to improve natural gas transmission capacity to serve Montana.
9) Are you ready to capture the 20%+ of Holiday Sales that will be done online? Get ready with the website bootcamp. We’ll guide you through setting up an ecommerce site you can be proud of can capture more revenue! This course is via zoom register here.
10) Check out October’s Hot Jobs in Great Falls, a collection of open jobs that we’re marketing to people in talent attraction target markets (Seattle, Portland, etc.). These are jobs that people would relocate for. If you have a particularly high-skill, high-salary or out-of-the-box job opportunity to include in November’s list, submit them here.
11) THANK YOU to our wonderful Investors! Recent investments include: Leadership Division–Guy Tabacco Construction; Pacesetter Division—Kelley Aline-Edward Jones; Community Division—Northern Directory Publishing. It is because of their continued support that GFDA is able to continue our efforts to help strengthen and grow our local economy. If you are interested in joining our team of investors, reach out to Investment Director, Jenn Gallmeier at 406-781-9499 or Jenn@GrowGreatFalls.org.
12) We have three exciting career opportunities for Content Marketing Director/Small Business Adviser, Resource Director (grant writing), and Business Development Officer (food processing specialist). Download job postings and please help spread the word. GFDA has a year-round College Intern Program with five paid internship opportunities. Download application. Help us spread the word!
13) Three of our team members, Christian, Jolene and myself, participated in the International Economic Development Council’s annual conference in Nashville. I gave a presentation on freight-based economic development in partnership with BNSF. We won a Silver Award for our creative bridge financing work.
14) SBA 504 loan rates dropped this month. If you are looking to expand or acquire new commercial real estate or long-term equipment, contact Jill Kohles to learn how to lock in long-term low rates with as little as 10% equity; JKohles@GrowGreatFalls.org or 406-590-1056. We do SBA 504 loans statewide.
Feels like fall this week. Lots of exciting things happening. Feels great to have years of work produce wonderful results!
President & CEO
“Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.”
John Quincy Adams
We are HUNGRY to Grow the Great Falls regional economy, create higher wage jobs, build our tax base, improve our market competitiveness, and enhance the quality of life and economic opportunity for residents of Great Falls, Cascade County, and the entire 13-county Great Falls trade area.
Cost-Effective Rail-Served Industrial Sites Available
If your company needs a rail-served, BNSF-Certified, shovel-ready site with all municipal services at your door, we have lots available for immediate construction in the Great Falls AgriTech Park. Contact Jolene Schalper at 1.406.750.4481 or JSchalper@GrowGreatFalls.org
October SBA 504 Loan Rates
The 25-year loan effective rate came in at 2.912%; 20-year at 2.765%; 10-year equipment loan at 2.372%; and, 20-year refinance 2.779%; 25-year refinance 2.926%. These rates are FIXED for the life of the loan and are inclusive of all fees. If you would like to find out how to get financing for commercial real estate and equipment at potentially lower rates than you’re paying for your home mortgage, please contact Jill Kohles at 406-590-1056 or JKohles@GrowGreatFalls.org.
Invest in Great Falls Regional Economic Development
Events, Business Training, and Opportunities
Learn how to add the most value to your ranching or processing operation in terms of marketing, financing, distribution, & quality. How do you get the most value for your beef while keeping it local? What business strategies & certifications are best for your operation? What can marketing & networking do for your business? Free workshop on November 3 from 10 AM – 3 PM. Register here.
We deliver print copies of the Great Falls Livability talent attraction magazine around town every Friday – if you would like copies of this great recruitment tool, email Soren at Soren@GrowGreatFalls.org.
The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) announced changes to the COVID Economic Injury Disaster Loan (EIDL). Changes include increases to maximum loan amount and expansion in the uses of funds for paying and prepaying existing business debt. If your business is still struggling to stabilize and recover from the pandemic or are seeing new challenges related to the Delta variant, GFDA’s business advisors are here to help. Connect with Jason at JNitschke@GrowGreatFalls.org. Apply for COVID EIDL on the SBA’s website.
Join the Trailing Partner Email Group specifically for employers to share resumes of trailing spouses/partners across the Great Falls region with other employers looking to hire. Connect with Talent Attraction Director Soren to learn about more great talent attraction tools for employers. “Your (Live in Great Falls) website is very impressive and helpful! Great Falls looks amazing, and we love what we’ve seen real estate-wise, and business-wise.” This quote was from an email sent to us from a couple considering relocation to Great Falls. We will be sharing their resumes (with their permission) on the Trailing Partner Email Group.
Looking to take control of your business’s financials, increase profit, and improve your bottom line? We have had interest from businesses in scheduling a Profit Mastery course. These courses are scheduled by demand. If you are interested in taking this two-day workshop, contact Jason Nitschke at JNitschke@GrowGreatFalls.orgor call (406) 750-0314.
Pro-tip: Post positivity! When you’re using Facebook, Instagram, or LinkedIn and share something positive about Great Falls, tag @LiveinGreatFalls or @GrowGreatFallsMontana. We will like and share your posts. Follow our talent attraction effort, Live in Great Falls, on Instagram, Facebook and YouTube, and follow the Great Falls Development Authority to help us attract entrepreneurs and business investment on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, and YouTube.
You are facing tough decisions right now. We’ve developed toolkits to help you decide what is best for your business. Toolkits include: Crisis Toolkit, Hibernation Toolkit, Business Resiliency Guide, Re-Opening Toolkit, and a Child Care Whitepaper. All of these can be found on our website.
Visit our relocation website LiveInGreatFalls.com. This website was the #1 request we got from local recruiters and HR professionals for aiding in attracting talented workers to Great Falls. The Great Falls At-A-Glance two-pager is a great complementary resource that highlights Great Falls for people unfamiliar with our community.
We have Brownfield Clean-Up money that we want to put to work! Our low interest Brownfield Loans can be used to clean up hazardous materials including but not limited to lead paint, asbestos, etc. Are you working on a project that could use some clean up? Call Lillian today to discuss eligibility 406.750.1253 or LSunwall@GrowGreatFalls.org.
Manufacturers, if you’re not engaged with the Montana Manufacturing Extension Center hosted by MSU, you’re missing out on powerful resources, services, and networking. MMEC clients report cost savings of $160.3 million, new investment of $328.4 million, $1.3 billion in new and retained sales, and 6,186 new and retained jobs since 2000. We’re proud to host an MMEC business adviser who covers the Golden Triangle region. Contact Doug Roberts at email@example.com or (937) 489-3985.
Of our online business planning tool, LivePlan, one said: “LivePlan is Awesome!” The LivePlan tool is helping her streamline her strategy in preparation for presenting to bank partners. We offer LivePlan licenses for free to active clients. Learn more about LivePlan on our website.
All of our recorded monthly business strategy webinars are available online for viewing anytime, click them out here.